Moonshine Products

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by Lynk, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Lynk

Lynk New Member

I have noticed a lot of new products in the stores and bars in my area that are small batch moonshines. Many are even packaged in a traditional glass jar! Have you noticed these taking off in your area? I don't know if they are "real" moonshine, I thought moonshine was homemade whisky so I'm never sure what to expect from these products. Do you guys have this trend in your area?

Are there are a lot of differences between this and traditional whisky? ANy recommendations?

2. Sue

Sue Active Member

It is not available in this area but I would interested in hearing what others had to say about this. I have heard a lot of things about moonshine over the years.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

I have not seen them. Ther is a legal moonshine place near here and as far as I know they just sell two or three different types of whiskey products. I think they probably do have some small batch whiskeys at the ABC store, but I haven't noticed them.

4. MyDigitalpoint

Moonshine is either available in my area, and I just recently heard about it.

However, and as per my understanding, moonshines are derivative liquors mainly distilled at home or in non-conventional production settings, and therefore they lack of the full process a whisky needs to mature.

Even though, don't take my word for it, I'm just starting learning more about them.

5. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

There are some wild wild west parts of California that will sell moonshine. I was a little confused because I think of the south as a big place for having great moonshine, but I guess people are getting their drink on everywhere!

6. kgord

kgord Active Member

I will make it a point next time I am in the liquor store to look for the small batch moonshine. I think I remember seeing some peach. There are certain to be some, as this is the South, and their are a few legal distilleries around that would want to hawk their wares.

7. MyDigitalpoint

I was talking to a friend this weekend, and he told me that most of the times you can get moonshine from someone who has a small home brewery/distillery at home, and usually bottled into unbranded large decanters or soda bottles.

However he didn't tell me where to get it from o_O

8. kgord

kgord Active Member

I am going to the shopping center that has the liquor store today,,,so I am going to take a field trip into the store to look at the brands of moonshine that are available. I will report back.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

There are some stores around here that have Moonshine products, they became a lot more popular in the past few years, or I didn't notice them before.

10. Sue

Sue Active Member

So how did you make out kgord? Did you find any?