Brewery Visits

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by lexinonomous, May 31, 2016.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

There are a few Breweries in my town that allow tours. I have gone to two local breweries that offered beer flights. It was very different sitting in a brewery, rather than sitting in a restaurant trying different beers. I enjoyed taking a look at how the beer I was drinking was made. It's a very different atmosphere than the local bar, but it's nice to have a change of pace from time to time. I like the idea of knowing where the beer I love came from.

Have you ever visited a Brewery?
    What do your local Breweries have to offer?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I only visited a brewery once, a Heineken one here in Bucharest. It was a pretty interesting experience, I learned a lot about beer history and I got some insight on beer making.

lexinonomous likes this.
  3. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I, generally, haven't. Though in years past I visited one in Olympia, Washington. It was kind of fun.

P.S. I see FuZyOn visited the Heineken plant. I love their beer, so I would imagine that was a fun one. :D

4. lexinonomous

I'd imagine that visiting the Heineken brewery was much different than visiting a local brewery. Heineken produces beer in massive quantities, while small businesses are producing much less. When I was visiting my local brewery, it was only a small warehouse building. Heineken must have been huge! Honestly, I have never tried Heineken before.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I haven't but I really like the sound of that. I have family that makes their own wine and the wine always tastes better in the wine cellar. That's how come all the wine tasting is always done in the wine cellar.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, definitely. Heineken was huge in comparison to some local breweries, they were prepared for guests and had a tour guide that would take us through the building, at local breweries they let us wander around.

7. lexinonomous

That sounds like a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind having a tour guide around a brewery. Majority of the brewery's I've visited have let me walk around on my own. I imagine Heineken's brewery being similar to the bakery tours at Disneyland. They have a constant tourguide with you and numerous displays. They even had samples at the end, heh.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Heineken had samples for their new beers but sadly I didn't feel like waiting in line, it was a cool tour nevertheless. :p
    Now that I think about it, Heineken's tour was oddly similar to the bakery tours at Disneyland.

lexinonomous likes this.
  9. lexinonomous

Were the lines long? I'm assuming they get packed on a day to day basis with tours, so it doesn't surprise me. I will only wait in line for samples if the line is fairly short. I'd hate to wait in a long line to sample something small. It's just not worth it to me, ha ha.

I pictured the tours being similar to the bakery tours at Disneyland. Disney's bakery tour is super organized and professional compared to the local breweries I've visited. I figure, Heinekin is an amusement park to breweries. :p

10. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

Yeah I already visited the local brewery because I was making a reporter about it. It was pretty cool, it's way more complex than people think it is.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Pretty long, Heineken is quite popular around here in Bucharest so people love getting to visit their brewery, let alone get some samples.

12. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Gosh, I have been on a lot of tours of breweries in the United States because I have lived all over and well, I love beer. Penn Brewery and the Great Lakes Brewing Company were two that are fairly close to me that I have been to, as well as a smaller one, Voodoo Brewing Co. I have also done Sam Adams and the Anheuser-Busch when I lived in other locations. It's a fun way to spend the day and there's always samples! However, I will say that I enjoy winery tours more. They're usually more picturesque and they always seem to bring out the best wine for people interested in their craft!